Movement is an integral part of human life, one of the most important functions of the body, which is performed thanks to the work of the musculoskeletal system. Violation of its functioning can have irreversible consequences, so it is so important to consult a specialist. In the West Pomeranian Voivodeship, an orthopedist in Szczecin treats diseases of the locomotor system based on the individual characteristics of the patient. A doctor of this specialization treats diseases and defects of the musculoskeletal system. The spectrum of what the orthopedist deals with includes congenital pathologies, defects in the development of the skeletal system, complications after infectious diseases, chronic and primary home injuries and injuries, as well as post-traumatic conditions and diseases of the skeletal system.
Directions in orthopedic treatment
What an orthopedic surgeon treats specifically depends on his specialization:
- Outpatient orthopedics – prophylaxis of bone diseases, non-surgical treatment of chronic diseases of joints and bones.
- Surgical orthopedics (feet, spine, hands) – radical treatment of bone, ligament and joint diseases.
- Endoprosthetics (joints, bones) – surgical prosthetics when it is impossible to save joints and bones with other methods of treatment.
- Traumatology and orthopedics (including sports orthopedics) – conservative and surgical treatment of skeletal injuries, including specific injuries of athletes.
- Children’s and adolescent orthopedics – prevention and treatment of skeletal defects in children under 1 year of age, young children and adolescents.
What organs does an orthopedist in Szczecin treat?
The structure of the musculoskeletal system includes:
- Skeleton (hard parts of bone)
- Ligaments (fibrous compounds that bind the structure of the bones)
- Muscles (set of muscle fibers)
- Tendons (the part of the muscles responsible for attaching them to the bone)
- Fascia (the connective tissue that covers various body structures).
During a visit to an orthopedist in Szczecin, visible structural damage is assessed, and then additional tests (MRI, ultrasound, radiography, etc.) or laboratory diagnostics (tests) may be ordered. Based on the feedback received from the patient and the results of the research, the orthopedist draws up an individual treatment plan, accompanies the patient throughout the therapeutic period, taking into account his feelings, and also observes the dynamics of the state during repeated examinations. Particular attention should be paid to the fact that the lack of visibility of the external damage after injury (the axis of the limb is not broken, there is no inflammation, redness of the skin, pain) does not mean that there is no internal damage.
Causes of diseases of the musculoskeletal system
The causes of diseases of the musculoskeletal system requiring observation by an orthopedic doctor are numerous. They can be grouped into the following groups:
- Overload as a cause of diseases of the spine and joints in athletes or workers during hard physical work
- Metabolic disorders
- Lack of exercise, resulting in a lack of blood supply to muscles, bones, and cartilage, which contributes to the development of spine diseases.
Delayed diagnosis of diseases of the musculoskeletal system can lead to serious, irreversible consequences related to the malfunctioning of the body. Increases the importance of the help of an orthopedist who is involved in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system. People after orthopedic consultation must follow the specialist’s recommendations: maintain a healthy lifestyle, eat well. Take care of adequate physical activity, physiotherapy, as well as undergo preventive examinations and make an appointment to an orthopedist in Szczecin if he feels the slightest discomfort.
What diseases does the orthopedist in Szczecin treat?
The main diseases for which orthopedic intervention is necessary:
- Osteochondrosis – a disease of various sections of the spine
- Congenital diseases (torticollis and hip dysplasia)
- Congenital clubfoot, flat feet
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Bone fractures and joint dislocations
- Arthrosis and bursitis are inflammatory diseases of the joints and the periarticular sac.
Diagnostics and treatment offered by an orthopedist in Szczecin
According to the patients, a good orthopedist not only treats diseases of the musculoskeletal system, but, if necessary, refers the patient to other specialists: a neurologist, rheumatologist, endocrinologist, etc., depending on the specificity of the disease and the degree of its complexity.
Comprehensive treatment developed by an orthopedist in Szczecin includes:
- Invasive procedures: intra-articular and peri-articular injections (corticosteroids, hyaluronic acid preparations, plasma enriched in platelets). Their main effect is the removal of inflammation, pain.
- Physiotherapy: manual, ultrasound, laser therapy, etc.
- Massage (helps improve blood circulation)
- Therapeutic exercises developed according to an individual plan and aimed at strengthening the muscles
- The use of orthopedic products (orthopedic insoles, foot correctors, bandages, corsets, etc.)
Re-examination, consultation with an orthopedist in Szczecin, as a rule, is prescribed after six months of intensive care in order to determine whether there is a positive tendency to hear patients’ opinions about the chosen treatment, on the basis of which a further treatment plan will be developed.